Thursday, February 4, 2010

Children and Weddings and Balls, Oh My!

Good news: I worked yesterday! Let me fill you in on the exciting job that is mine - I babysit children. But to make it sound good, I call myself a nanny because the first thing I think of when I hear the word nanny is Mary Poppins. And who doesn't love Mary Poppins?

I nanny three children: an 11 year old boy (Adam)and twin 10 year old girls (Natalia and Lauren). They're not bad because they're fairly independent, but I worry about the mind-numbing amount of video games and TV they watch. Which is why I've decided to make them more involved around the house. Yesterday I presented them with some new rules: 1. They have to help me make dinner, 2. We have to eat dinner together at the table with no TV, and 3. They have to wash their own dishes when they're done eating. The girls were excited about the rules, but the boy whined about the no TV at dinner part. If I can stick to these rules and the punishments that go along with them, I think it'll be really good for the kids. And good practice for when I have a family of my own (which, at the rate I'm going, won't be for a while!). Yesterday night went well, I found out that the boy has never washed a dish in his life! I'm sure he'll thank me when he's older.

Last night I finally found the wedding invitation for D&K's wedding, so I texted Suitman the details. It's on the same night as the Sweetheart's Ball, but I wasn't worried because I hadn't been asked. I figured Suitman and I would go to the wedding and maybe if he was interested, we could swing by the ball afterward just to see what's up (Suitman isn't mormon, so he doesn't know about the ball). However, I encountered a hitch in my plan when the doorbell rang. My brother answered the door only to find that someone had left a toy boat on our step with a note for me attached. It read: "We could party like we're on a boat if you came to the sweethearts dance with me!!!". I knew exactly who was asking me and when he had brought up the subject of Sweethearts in an earlier conversation, I told him that I wasn't planning on going, but wouldn't say no if someone asked. ME AND MY BIG MOUTH!

So now I have two dates for next Friday night. I don't know what to do! After Suitman and I go to the wedding, should I have him drop me off at the Sweethearts Ball so I can go off and meet Boatboy? Or should I have Suitman take me home after the wedding just in time for Boatboy to pick me up? If I go with the first idea, I have to be honest with both of the guys and tell them that I have another date planned for the night. With the second idea, I lie to them both and hope that I have really good timing with Suitman so that he and Boatboy don't cross paths at my house. One results in a potentially awkward conversation with both guys and the other has the potential to end up in neither of them knowing about the other if things go according to plan. This is where comments would be appreciated, folks!

3 comments:

  1. meh, i dont think it really matters due to both being just friends :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Leinani!
    I found your blog the other day (I hope that's not creepy.. work tends to get a little boring as of late) and I really like reading it. I hope you don't mind if I follow and I even more hope you have at least some vague memory of who I am, or else I really am creepy!
    As for the advice you're seeking: I obviously don't know anything about the situation but if they are both friends, I say do the switch in secret. You don't have to feel like you're lying to them just because you're not telling them both everything. Not that I know their personalities, but if you tell them both about the other you might step all over any chance with either. But then again, they might appreciate your honesty and like you more for it. But what do I know? Good luck!!
    Happy blogging :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey!

    so... I think honesty is the best policy. You can tell Boatboy that you had planned on the wedding, but misplacing of invite, etc. and you can tell Suitman that you got asked... and you're sorry.

    or something like that

    Love you! I know you'll do what's best either way!

    ReplyDelete