Friday, February 3, 2012

Tickets! Tickets, please!

I don’t know if everyone knows this, but I am a wanted criminal with Parking Lot Officers everywhere – particularly in the University parking lot. It usually happens when Johnny is home and I get to drive the car to school. I’m usually too lazy (or running too late) to park in the free parking spots that are a 10 minute walk from the school so I just park illegally in the school parking lot with a month-old Pay-n-Park pass displayed on the dashboard. Sometimes this tactic works... but more often than not it doesn’t. I bet I’ve paid over 100 dollars worth in parking ticket fines since last January.

This past week that Johnny was home I didn’t have to worry about parking because I got a ride with a friend to school on most of the days. But on Tuesday I was on my own for a ride and I asked Johnny to take me to school. He was still sleeping at the time so he groggily told me to drive myself. I explained to him that I didn’t want to worry about parking so he should just take me. Again, he told me to take myself. “I’ll get a ticket,” I told him. “No you won’t, now go.” He mumbled into the pillow.

Not wanting to waste anymore time arguing with him, I grabbed the keys and drove to school. I found a parking spot, adjusted the old Pay-n-Park pass and went to class. 2 and a half hours later I returned to find a lovely gift stuck to my windshield from the friendly Parking Officer. Yup, a ticket. Yesterday I went downtown to pay it off and I made a vow. I vowed to never get another parking ticket ever again. I’m going to be smart when I drive and I will plan ahead so I can park in the free spots far away from school.

With the internet as my witness, I swear that this past ticket will be my last or so help me.

1 comment: