Sunday, September 1, 2013

What am I good at?

Gasp! This post for day 7 is happening a day late! Sorry, this is what I get for thinking I can maintain a blog while in the process of moving my butt back home. I'll get these up when I can, just be patient :) PS - I apologize for the weird formatting going on here... I didn't have internet when I wrote this in the car so I had to copy and paste which always makes for a hassle with formatting.

Before I entered singles ward I really enjoyed planning little get togethers with my friends. In my grade 12 year I planned an “End of Semester No More Exams Mafia Party” and invited some friends over for games (Mafia, particularly) and food. I loved party games, therefore I loved planning parties to play these games at.

When I started going to singles ward I was called to be a Family Home Evening (FHE) Ma, where together with my assigned Pa, we would plan an activity for a small group of people one Monday out of the month. I loved this calling and I eventually was called to be an the FHE Superma or coordinator where I was in charge of dividing the ward into families and planning 2 activities a month for the entire ward to enjoy. Having an even larger group of people to plan for put my party planning skills to good use. I really did love this calling. Of the many activities that I planned I think my favourite was my Johnny Lingo night. It was also the biggest activity I pulled off where I provided Polynesian food along with Otai, the drink of the gods, for over 70 people. While we ate we watched Johnny Lingo and after that I had some good friends of mine come in and show the boys how to do the Haka and the girls how to dance to Pearly Shells.

Like I said, I had my FHE calling for three years and I loved it, I really did. But after doing it for three years, the magic started to wear off, especially in the last 4 months I was there -- though that may have had more to do with the fact that I was engaged and trying to plan my freaking wedding! Ever since I’ve left the FHE calling behind, I’ve had trouble finding the spark I used to have for planning parties with my friends. I have done it, but I’ve only been able to do it once a year.

Every year on the anniversary of the day when Joe and I became an official couple, I’ve held a bonfire with all our friends where we can roast weinies, tell stories and play games. I haven’t played a good party game in a long while, but I’ve been getting a hankering to do it again. And I’ve been coming up with some awesome ideas for new games to play, so I think the flame is starting to come back to life…

1 comment:

  1. You are a good party planner. Did you know I was a FHE planner as well?
    We didn't have Ma and Pa's, we were always all together.
    I had that calling for a year and by the end, I was so exhausted of planning. Haha.
    I remember the Johnny Lingo night for sure! It was pretty awesome :)

    Hope the move is going well :)

    ReplyDelete