Friday, August 30, 2013

Did that really just happen??

I don't get embarrassed too often, but there have been a couple incidents in my life that are totally worthy of the embarrassing stories section in a teen magazine.


One time I was going on a hot date with a guy to singles dance. It was a fancy dance and so I had gotten myself dressed up and eagerly awaited the arrival of my man (side note, my date wasn't Joe - scandalous!). When my date arrived I opened the door and there stood a rather dashing young fellow in a fine looking suit. The response to come to mind was, "hey, you look good!" but he beat me to the first line of the night with, "How are you tonight?" and instead of me answering with "I'm fine" I ended up mixing up my two responses to say, "I look good!" We both stood there for a moment unsure of what to say next. I couldn't believe that had just happened to me so I decided to pretend it didn't happen and rushed him down the side walk to get on with the night.

Although I was mortified in the moment, it didn't take me long to laugh about the memory. The next story, however, still makes me wish I could go back and do it over...

My favourite blogging friend, Trudy, is also my favourite singing friend. Seriously, I love to sing with her. We loved sitting with each other in church so we could make some beautiful harmonies. Whenever I'd go over to her house, we always would end up going through the hymn book and other songbooks with her mom on the piano just singing for fun. Naturally, we also got asked to sing for a lot of church functions. At one point there was one song that we sang a lot at different functions for one reason or another. It was a pretty song that talked about feeling inadequate, but strengthened through Jesus. The last time we sang it, however, was when disaster struck.

As I mentioned before, we had sung this song a lot. So much so that we didn't even feel any jitters when we were about to sing. Our preparation for the song had been standard. We'd run through it before the event began to make sure everything was sounding good. Trudy's mom had given us a tip to enunciate the d sound at the end of one of the words we were singing. So for the performance we were singing along and when that word came up, we remembered what we were supposed to do and we enunciated the d. Except, for some reason, we found it funny and these big smiles came onto our faces. All of a sudden, the unthinkable happened: I started to laugh. Right in the middle of the song. Trudy was a champ because she held off as long as she could before she too startled to giggle-sing right along with me. Meanwhile her mom kept playing the tune in a true "show must go on" fashion. Trudy was able to pull herself together to sing the last couple notes of the song and I mumbled an "I'm sorry" to everyone. The worst part? It was in the last verse that we had our breakdown, right when it talks about the saviour and how he died for us all. (In fact I think the word we enunciated the d on was "died")

Since the laughing fit, Trudy and I have sung many more songs together but we haven't sung that song since the fateful night - not even for fun.

2 comments:

  1. Oh man! I'll never forget about that!
    It was so ridiculous x)

    I miss singing with you!

    First story was pretty good too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I miss our singing so. freaking. much. I really hope we get to do another Christmas number this year.

    ReplyDelete