Saturday, June 1, 2013

For the love of dough!


Anyone that knows me knows I love desserts. Okay, I love food in general, but there is a special place in my heart for desserts -- especially the kind I can make. Cookies are a wonderful dessert, but there's one thing about the cookie world I hate.

I've been surfing around the interwebs lately looking for a new cookie recipe to try. And a lot of them look really good, but I've been noticing a trend. Any cookie recipe that claims to be the best will always tell you to  refrigerate the dough for several hours or overnight for extra 'puffiness'.

Does anyone I know actually refrigerate their cookie dough?? When I make cookies, it's because I want to eat cookies right now. Half the dough doesn't even make it to the oven because it's so delicious that I just have to eat it now. In fact, a friend and I once made a batch of cookie dough just to eat the dough! We didn't even preheat the oven because we had no intentions of cooking our cookies. (Yes, that was during a girl's night and we watched a sappy movie after ward while we om nommed our delightful dough).

What I'm trying to get at is that I don't think these people who refrigerate their dough take cookies seriously. I mean, if you can make a batch of cookie dough, and then not eat it and save it for the next day, you clearly don't love cookies enough. I love cookies so much that I will eat one fresh out of the oven and scald my tongue on the lava hot chocolate chips and still go back for more. That, my friends, is what a cookie monster is all about.

1 comment:

  1. HEY NOW! I love desserts too and lately I've been a cookie fiend.

    And I'm sorry to break it to you, but YES...chilling the dough does make the cookies thicker/more puffy because they don't flatten out/melt as quick.
    I've been loving a specific cookie dough lately and i always chill the dough for a day now.
    It IS kind of a pain...but I think it's worth it.
    (And trust me, I still eat half the dough between the first time making it and rolling the balls the next day) ;)

    ReplyDelete