Wednesday, March 28, 2012

5 excellent reasons why I don't have a car

Within the past two days, this topic has been brought up by a couple people so I figure that means I should blog about it.

In case you don't already know, Johnny and I have one car between us. And while he's gone at work that leaves me at home with no car. If I didn't have my way, Johnny probably would have bought me a car months ago. This is why I'm still car-less:

1. I am perfectly capable of taking the bus. As a girl who is chronically late to everything, the bus is nice because it gets me to where I need to go with time to spare. As long as I don't miss the bus, that is ;)

2. I own a bike. And during the 6 months of the year when it isn't snowing, I can ride anywhere I need to. Except the west side. I haven't gotten up the nerve to take on Whoop Up yet...

3. My parents live in town. And they love me. So if I'm in a pickle, they are pretty willing to help me out.

4. We have other plans for our money. We want to take a couple trips, we've been thinking of buying a house and Johnny has a good chunk of his student loans left to pay and I still have a bit of school left to finish. If we drop 6000 on a little car for me, that's 6000 less for the loan, for a trip and a down payment on a house.

5. I'm cheap. If I was ranking these in order of most influential, this is reason number 1. My motto is, "If we can live without it, we don't need it." The cave men got along fine without cars and so will I.

For now, these reasons work for me so I will continue to get along without a car. If we were to move to a strange city hours away from my family, we would buy another car. If we had a kid, we'd have a car. And if we had a million dollars, we'd have another car. And a private jet.

3 comments:

  1. Hmm...5 reasons I couldn't live without a car:

    1. Driving is nice. (Even though gas is expensive)
    2. I love sleep, I'd much prefer sleeping in than getting up an extra hour early to take a bus.
    3. Time is money. So basically having the extra hour makes up for the gas (maybe...)
    4. If there's an emergency of sorts, I's just gots to have a vehicle! No way am I paying/waiting for a cab or some crap!
    5. Plus yo....I've totally got a million dollars. Yes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Buying a house is a great goal for the New Year. Make sure that resolution has some back up with a life insurance policy. You can get a quick and easy quote from IntelliQuote in just minutes. Find out how little it could cost to keep (and protect) that home for future generations. http://bit.ly/HPGmhb

    ReplyDelete
  3. You don't think you need a car? That's unusual and magnificent. Huzzah for buses and bikes! Lots of poor students get by just fine with nothing more than pedals and a pass. Those were simpler times ... Do enjoy your improved health, your enhanced physical conditioning, and your discretionary funds.

    ReplyDelete