Saturday, March 12, 2011

The Best Thing I Ever Ate

I ran across a show called The Best Thing I Ever Ate and the episode I found was where they were talking about their favourite cakes. They all looked amazing. There was this pound cake in Kansas that looked absolutely divine and one guy raved that the hoecakes in the South were the best thing ever.

But it got me thinking, what's the best thing I've ever ate? Eaten? Whatever.

I'm not a picky eater, so it's hard for me to narrow down a list of favourites because I like everything. My mama makes some pretty good food, so I pretty much like everything she makes. And my grandma can make a stew out of anything and it tastes delicious! Then there's one of my Tongan aunts who once owned a restaurant and she can make the best Tongan dishes ever.

Okay, okay, I have to narrow it down cause it's no fun to say, "I LIKE ALL THE FOOD IN THE WORLD!" because it makes it sound like I should be 500 pounds and living on a couch. Or it could mean I'm well travelled... and weigh 500 pounds.

So I give you my list of my 5 favourite things to eat (sorry, that's about as narrowed as it's going to get).

  • Meat pies from New Zealand. I tried my first meat pie ever when we were down there last April and they were scrumptious! My favourite was the breakfast meat pie which had eggs, bacon and hashbrowns (i think) inside it.
  • Fish and chips from a little restaurant on the Kootenay lake called JB's. They's got some big juicy strips of halibut deep fried in a delicious batter served with some awesome coleslaw and big chunky fries.
  • The apple pie at Swiss Chalet. The first time I ever went there was with Johnny a few months ago and for dessert I had the coconut cream pie and he had the apple. He let me try a piece of his and it was heaven!
  • The lamb souvlaki at some Greek place in Edmonton. I had a bad experience with lamb a while back and since then I'd been wary of eating lamb. But when I tried it at this place, it made me love lamb all over again. They served up the most beautiful, juicy pieces of meat I've ever had. I'm starting to drool just thinking about it!
  • Roasted pig skin. Seriously. Don't knock it til you try it folks. You roast a pig over a spit and when it's all done the skin is crip and golden. It's so good with salt. Maybe you can try some at my wedding one day because there will be a roasted pig and it will be awesome.

Keep in mind that I don't have these listed in order of most favourite to least favourite. I don't think I could do that. It was hard enough just to pick 5 favourite foods! Let's see you do it! What are your 5 favourite things to eat? Or what's the best thing you ever ate? I wanna know!

No comments:

Post a Comment