Thursday, August 26, 2010

A Step in the Right Direction

Did I ever tell you my exciting news?

I finally know what I want to do with my life! For reals!

Originally, I was majoring in biochemistry to become a pharmacist. But after I totally bombed in the chem department last semester, I decided that I didn't want to include chemistry in my life anymore. But if not pharmacy, then what?

One day my mum suggested that I should look into becoming a physiotherapist. Since I tore my ACL, I've worked a lot with physiotherapists and from what I've seen, it's a pretty good profession to get into. You get to play in a gym all day while at the same time, you feel a sense of accomplishment because you get to help people get back on their feet (quite literally sometimes).

So I took my mum's advice and took a look at what it takes to become a physical therapist. I found that there's a master's program up at the U of A that takes 25-28 months to complete. All I need is to finish my Bachelor's degree down here and then I'll be able to transfer up. I'm super excited. I just finished registering for my classes and I am all set for the fall. There is one downside to this whole situation though...

I've had to switch my major from biochemistry to kinesiology.

In case you don't know what kinesiology is, it's gym class. By definition, kinese is the study of human movement. In other words: gym class. Back when I was a biochem major, we made fun of the kinese majors and now I'm going to be one of them. Oh well.

With biochem, I worked myself into the ground. My class schedule was so loaded with lectures and labs and tutorials that I barely had time to digest anything I was learning. But now, I've got two classes in which I'm actually in a classroom and the other two are physical activity courses! On Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays I have resistance training in the morning and in the afternoon I get to play badminton. And these classes count towards my major! How awesome is that? And the textbook fees are going to be a fraction of what they used to be. I'll actually have money left over once I'm done paying my fees!!

You know, even though I may have to suffer some jeers from my once fellow biochemmates, it'll totally be worth it once midterm and final season rolls around. I'm gonna have a smokin' hot body from all my physical activity while they seek new ways to kill themselves to avoid lab write-ups. Boo yah.

No comments:

Post a Comment