Wednesday, May 18, 2011

A new day

I have a new favourite artist. For a long time I've loved the works of Andy Warhol. You know, his colourful prints of marilyn monroe, his classic campbell's soup cans and his banana.

Then I discovered Banksy, the secretive London graffiti artist, whose street art exposes the skeletons of the world's closet and also reminds us of what a beautiful place it can be/has been.

Enter my new love: Candy Chang. Her website describes her as a public installation artist who likes to make cities more comfortable for people. I'm still discovering all the inspiring works she's done and I've loved every single one. My absolute favourite is what she's done with the side of an abandoned house in New Orleans. She transformed it into a giant chalkboard with the words "Before I Die" painted on it. They left chalk out so people can write down the things they want to do before they die. The response has been impressive.


Here's my favourite comment that was written on the site:
"you know what I abslolutely love about this?
the purity of it all.
reading this, the thoughts of all these people, make me realize that deep down, after all the materialistic bullshit we put ourselves through every day, our human race isn't too bad after all."
I want this done in my city! This is something that every city needs. Wouldn't the world be a better place if we all realized that everyone has hopes and dreams of a brighter future? I am on the verge of starting a new life with the wonderful young man I love and who loves me in return. I want us to be happy together and when we have kids, I want to raise them with love and teach them to make good choices.

Before I die I want to raise a family that loves each other and will make the world a better place. World peace has to start somewhere, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment