Monday, July 12, 2010

Callouses Are Hot

I hate growing up.

Yesterday Selina and I were walking from her house to mine and all I had were the heels I wore to church. So I decided to slip off the shoes and walk barefoot. I figured it would be just like the good ol' days when I was a kid and rarely ever wore shoes.

And you know, for the first block and a half it was great. I felt like a kid again. I felt innocent and young and carefree all over again. It was pure bliss!

And then I stepped on a rock.

And another one.

And then my feet started to get raw from rubbing against the pavement.

By the time we got home, my feet were feeling pretty tender. Not to mention they were filthy.

As I washed my feet clean, I realized that I've gotten soft over the years. When I was 10, my feet were never sore from running around barefoot! When I was 10, I was probably browner than I've ever been today because I was outside all the time. When I was 10, I could probably run around the block 5 times without ever getting tired. When I was 10, I was a freaking super hero!

Yup, the elementary school years were some of the best years of my life. One of my favourite memories from those days was when the dickee-dee man would ride around the neighbourhood and I would scrounge up all my pennies for an ice cream bar that I never finished.

Nowadays, kids rarely play outside. None of them have imaginations anymore. Now they all just sit around indoors and play their videogames and facebook and look up stuff on youtube all day. When I have my own kids, I'll kick them outside everyday. I won't buy any of the new-fangled toys that take all the fun out of everything. The only thing my kids will have is a super nintendo and a big backyard to play in cause that's all I had. And look how I turned out.

1 comment:

  1. you realize when you were 10 I was in college.I'm just saying. And I did the same thing when I was in Cold Lake for that week I was barefoot all the time. And I had the same problem.

    ReplyDelete